|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
Photograph is the McKinley birh home as it was reconstructed on the Mackey -Wess property in MCKinely Heights. An additional outbuilding is also visible.
The home in which MCKinley was born on January 29, 1843, originally stood on Main Street in downtown Niles. During the late 1890's the building was divided into two seperate structures, one of which was moved to the back of the block onto Franklin Alley, the other was relocated to and area soutwest of downtown called Riverside Park. By 1910, Mrs. Mackey-Wess had purchaced both structures and eventually had them rejoined and restored on her property east of NIles; this area then became known as McKinley Heights. After her death in 1934 the house was neglected and later burned to the ground on April 3, 1937. Handwritten on the back of the photograph: "McKinley bithplace picture taken between 1917 and 1920 by Mary Ann Nell's father." Unframed. Black and white.
|Dimensions||H-5.25 W-3 inches|